Monday 21 February 2011

51/365...

Total departure for day 51. I have a number mini-projects planned within the overall 365. One is a series of 10 black and white portraits loosely based around local characters that I know or have come across.

This first is a shot of a busker who frequents the Fareham shopping centre. I love buskers generally - I love the whole street entertainment thing - that confidence that comes with getting out there and performing.  Not only that they hold a special place in the bond between me and my son. One of our earliest and favourite storybooks is a book called Tabby McTat by the outstanding Julia Donaldson, ably assisted by the genius artwork of Axel Scheffler. It is the story of buskers cat who becomes separated from his master, only to settle down, and have a son who eventually becomes the buskers new cat. One of the key themes is the buskers old checked hat. This guy also uses a checked hat to collect his rewards. Every time I see it makes me smile and think of storytime with my son. Ironically Thomas is unbelievably wary of him and will always hide behind me when we pass.

This is a very early attempt at street photography and it was really rewarding. I was unsure whether or not to ask, but in the end just went for it. He was cool about the whole thing - letting me take a couple of shots. I will return with printed copy and a small token for his patience. It taught me something quite valuable though. If you don't do or don't ask you will never know. Sometimes you have to just get out there, ask, be cheeky - just go for it. Pretty much the worst that can happen is a refusal. The best is a shot that you never though you could get.

Technically - not the best pic - the composition is quite straightforward within the constraints of his location. I took a couple of shots and then slowed the shutter speed a bit. I wanted to capture the motion of his hand on the guitar. I don't use much motion in my shots but when used it can bring a picture to life. Convey a sense of speed, or action. In this case I wanted to just add a little life to the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment