Saturday 1 May 2010

Section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000...


I was stopped by a security guard whilst taking pictures for the first time today. It got me thinking about the current row regarding so-called abuses of section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000.

Don't get me wrong I didn't mind the interjection today. I was merely asked if they were personal photos - to which I obviously replied yes - and proceeded to have a good conversation about the area I was photographing. I had also managed to draw some unwanted attention to myself and this proved a useful escape. (note to self - hanging round unpleasant places with £000's of camera equipment round one's neck is not wise...)

However it is becoming more apparent that the powers afforded to our security services and police are being abused. At what point do we accept invasion into our personal freedoms as a price to pay for greater protection. This is a question I am still grappling with. All three main political parties are aware of this intrusion and the affect that it has on us - none have given a satisfactory response - like on so many other issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment